How Should You Prepare for Creating Your Website?
Whether you’re about to take the plunge for the first time, or have finally reconciled yourself that your 2011 website is overdue for an overhaul, the most important step on your path to new-website-awesomeness is making sure you have a great map – To quote Confucius “Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail…”
Over the years we’ve been working with entrepreneurs to help them realize their online goals we’ve evolved a template that helps map out these goals into a succinct, pragmatic and, most importantly, ACTIONABLE plan and we’re happy to share it…
Outline your business
Step 1 – General
Provide an introductory paragraph about your organization / company.
ACME Co. Ltd. was established in 2001 by Joeline and John Doe, and has since grown to 5 franchised locations and 75 employees. The company provides yacht owners and boating enthusiasts with boat supplies and marine hardware from a catalog of over 3,500 products sourced from WIDGET Co., for which ACME is the exclusive agent in Southeast Asia and Oceania.
Step 2 – Who are your target audiences?
List your target audiences. Be as specific as you can.
ACME Co. works primarily with boating enthusiasts docked in Pattaya, Sydney, Hong Kong and SIngapore, and owning 30ft yachts and up.
Step 3 – Who’s your competition?
List your competitors, ideally referencing their websites.
Step 4 – What’s your UVP? (Unique Value Proposition)
What’s your secret sauce? Why do you have a competitive edge?
- Founding directors are passionate boating enthusiast who started the business due to first hand experience with the pain points.
- Competitive pricing for high quality products.
- Well established credibility based on over a decade of operations.
Step 5 – What are your website’s goals ?
List the S.M.A.R.T goals you plan to accomplish with your new website.
- Generate a 10% increase in direct B2C sales to boating enthusiasts within 6 months from launch.
- Generate 2 qualified leads for potential new franchisees each month, also within 6 months from launch.
Step 6 – What drives your website’s credibility?
When your target audience arrives at your new website they’ll believe you can help them because?…
- Client testimonials
- Money back guarantee and free shipping
- Clean crisp and professional website
Step 7 – How will you market your website?
How will you get word out to your target audience?
- PPC advertising: Google, Facebook
- Email list
Step 8 – What key interactions and features will your website support?
List out how your audience and you will be interacting with your website.
- Content and inventory management system to update the website without a developer
- Payment gateway to enable online payments
- Multilingual to support clients in English, Simplified Chinese and Thai
- Share to Facebook buttons
- Google map showing store locations for easy access
Step 9 – List out your sitemap
List out the pages on your website according to the navigation categories they’ll appear under.
- Boat Supplies
- Mooring and Docking
- Wire, Rope and Rigging
- Sports Boats
- Drifting Boats
- Fishing Boats
- About Us
- Contact Us
- Returns policy
- Shipping information
- Terms and Conditions
Step 10 – Wireframe the key pages of your website
Provide wireframe diagrams for the each of the key page templates of your website.
Moving on – Next Steps…
List out the next steps you need to complete to advance your plan.
- Meet the franchisees to get their feedback.
- Secure sponsorships from suppliers.
- Get a proposal
You can either download our template with the button below, or use the online form to submit your responses to our team for a free evaluation.
When you’re ready for a quote on your upcoming project we’d appreciate it if you’d consider us…